Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Recipe Review - White Bean and Tuna Salad

So I decided I'm gonna do recipe reviews from time to time to share with you all.  I'll only share with you the ones I like and just give you a quick link over and let you know if I made any changes.  You'll find over on the right hand side what's on my menu.  I might have a couple within the next week or so, but I promise that there will be a good mix of my life in here.  

Justin and I have been trying to eat healthier so we've done some switching over to different foods.  Whole wheat pasta instead of the regular kind, adding beans to our diet (I'm not a fan of the texture), eating more vegetables (still working on fruits - don't like the texture), and eliminating things.  Also, I've decided in the last couple of months that I don't like chicken, so we haven't been eating very much of that lately either and going meatless more often.  I've also been having a hard time with cream.  I've been refusing to cook with any "cream of" anything for about the past year, but I'm kind of starting to feel similarly with anything that has heavy cream or cream cheese in it.  I'm feeling ok with half and half, but the sauce doesn't turn out quite the same, so my options are pretty limited  (I'm PRETTY excited about trying the avocado pasta I have listed over on the right.).

Also, I've recently gotten really interested in freezer meals.  Justin and I are very serious about getting back into school in the Spring (We've both been studying for the placement tests to ensure accurate placement, so that's PRETTY serious.) and it's unlikely we'll be home at the same time very often and even more unlikely that either one of us will have time to cook.  I don't want us to waste money eating out and I also don't want us to eat unhealthy preservative-stuffed TV dinners, so I've been trying to figure out what to do.  Check out this site for an idea on what i'm talking about.  I'll update you more when I have a better idea of how to go about it, but I'm going to be buying the book, 'Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer' soon.

Anyway - to the recipe!  Go here if you're interested!
This was a GOOOD and a very light dinner.  Tuna fish has some amazing health benefits and white beans are low-fat and high in fiber - making this an altogether healthy meal.  I served the salad on croissants, but there are many other ways you can serve it.  The flavor was fantastic (even having served it right away) and I'm sure it will be even better tomorrow.  The idea for this meal was dinner tonight and then lunch for Justin and I for the week.  Let me tell you, I'm counting down the hours until lunch tomorrow.

Thanks for tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment