Monday, October 17, 2011

Going Vegetarian... part of the way

So... I've basically become a vegetarian.  Believe me, it's a shock to me as well.  I've mentioned before that I've been having a hard time with chicken lately to the point that I can't eat it (except for whatever my brother's girlfriend, Nerissa, makes - because let's face it, she's amazing), but it seems to have gone much further than that.  Not only do I not want to eat chicken, I also don't want to eat steak.  This is a HUGE shocker - because I am (or was) a steak kind of girl.
This all started about the time that Emi and I separated.  I doubt that has anything to do with it, but due to the stress of the whole thing - I rarely ate (I remember eating 1 piece of bread, and that was it, for a whole day) and for about 6 months had next to no appetite.  I remember heading to Applebees with a friend and I got my favorite thing there, the Ribeye steak with shrimp and Parmesan on top.  I took a couple of bites and was on the verge of being sick.  Not because there was anything wrong with it or that it wasn't of the usual high quality that I like - I just didn't want the meat.  The same thing happened when I made Justin and I some salmon earlier this year.  I'm tolerating ground beef more than anything - and have had some success with steak and pork in a stir fry (with lots of vegetables and rice).  So, when I was planning out our meals I told Justin that I thought I was going vegetarian.  Luckily, he agreed.  He said that it would probably be better for our diets to treat meat as a luxury instead of a staple.
The other added bonus to this is the price tag.  I keep a very stocked pantry so unless you do, you can't really quote me on this, but for 2 weeks worth of meals I spent $25.  The next time I spent $35, but I did buy some sausage and some sun-dried tomatoes and I planned an extra meal than normal.  That is $60 on a months worth of food for 2 people.

Anyway, to my point:  Here are some vegetarian meals that I've already made and had success with.

Super Bean Burritos - This recipe made 16 burritos and we still have about 9 of them in the freezer.  Justin has been taking them for lunch and we've had them for a quick meal as well.  Not to mention, I really like the way they taste.  Only one change, I switched out the beans for kidney beans as those are Justin's favorite and what we have stocked in the pantry from Costco.

Tomato Bisque Soup - This was my first experience with Butternut Squash and I'm hooked.  My first taste of this really hit the spot.  This is restaurant quality stuff.  You. Must. Try.  The only thing I did differently is that I didn't want to spend the money on half and half (I'm that cheap!) because I had 2 oz of cream cheese in my fridge that needed a home.  So I let that soften, cut it up into chunks, and stirred it in with some milk.  I served this with a grilled cheese sandwich for dipping and some whole wheat Saltines.  Delicious.

White Bean and Sausage Ragout - This is my "part of the way."  You hardly even noticed the sausage in this dish because it was so full of beans, tomatoes, zucchini, and kale.  A ragout is comparable to a stew for those who don't know (I certainly didn't...) and it was really good.  The zucchini was Justin's favorite part.  If you wanted to go vegetarian, you could probably replace the sausage with tofu or leave it out entirely since you've got beans for a source of protein and fiber.

Here's what I've got coming up next:
Roasted Zucchini Pasta
Spicy Kale Lasagna
Spaghetti Squash with Grilled Chicken and Sun-dried Tomatoes (another halfway and attempt at me liking chicken)

Obviously, I'll need to do some more research on going vegetarian to ensure that we're still getting the nutrients that we need that we'll be missing out on from the meat, but so far my belly is full and my taste buds are happy.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I just read this! You're hilarious. And you made a pretty darn good beer butt chicken last night!! You're an awesome cook!

    ReplyDelete