![]() |
| Me on 3.24.13 after 8 miles |
“Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.” ― Mary Oliver
Over the past three weeks, I feel like I have been slowly clawing myself out of a hole that I must have fallen into. Be it seasonal depression or just one of life's slumps, I had no motivation. No motivation and a Half Marathon in less than a month don't exactly go hand-in-hand.
But for some reason, I kept trying.... 3 miles... then 4... and then a few Sundays ago, I hit 7 miles. 7 MILES!!! The furthest I've ever run is 6 miles for the two 10Ks that I've done. The elated feeling I felt when Endomondo came on "You have reached your goal" is something that I can't even describe. It was more than 7 miles... it was pride, it was happiness, it was security - all things that I haven't felt about myself in a while.
Over the past three weeks, I feel like I have been slowly clawing myself out of a hole that I must have fallen into. Be it seasonal depression or just one of life's slumps, I had no motivation. No motivation and a Half Marathon in less than a month don't exactly go hand-in-hand.
But for some reason, I kept trying.... 3 miles... then 4... and then a few Sundays ago, I hit 7 miles. 7 MILES!!! The furthest I've ever run is 6 miles for the two 10Ks that I've done. The elated feeling I felt when Endomondo came on "You have reached your goal" is something that I can't even describe. It was more than 7 miles... it was pride, it was happiness, it was security - all things that I haven't felt about myself in a while.
Sometimes life seems so pointless, like one never ending battle - and sometimes I just want to throw up my white flag and be done.
![]() |
| Me on 4.3.13 after 9 miles |
I spoke to someone not too long ago, I told her I was afraid of dying. Afraid of looking back on my life and feeling like I hadn't done enough. Afraid that my relationships weren't strong enough, that I wasn't a good enough person. I explained that I work for an amazing man who travels all over the world performing eye surgeries on children and that I envy him for the impact he will leave on the world long after he is gone. What have I spent my life doing??? What she told me has stuck with me, she said, "It sounds to me like you have spent your life learning."
I still have such a long way to go and so many things that I need to do, but for today - for right now we'll start with this. I need to begin to start trusting myself again. I can do this. This is no big deal. 13.1 miles, here I come.



You're amazing! I think a lot of people can relate to being their own worst enemy ;)
ReplyDelete