Sunday, December 11, 2011

Homemade... what?

Sorry the formatting is so strange, blogger is being dumb - and I'm too lazy to fix it.

Hey everyone!!!  Still staying super busy with this job of mine, and still suffering from excessive tiredness.  I'm pretty sure it's about time to go to the doctor... but I'm still kind of hoping it's the new schedule and things will get better soon.

Anyway - I hate deodorant.  Really, I do.  I still wear it every day, though.  For years, I've had problems with deodorant either dying my shirts yellow or white in an inconvenient spot and/or causing irritation on my underarms.  I have SUUUPER sensitive skin and a diagnosis of keratosis pilaris, which is where the same stuff that makes your nails gets stuck in your pores.  If you ever noticed how red my arms are... this is why.  Unfortunately, there is no cure so I just do my best (lots of exfoliating and unscented lotions).  Fortunately, it has gotten a lot better than when I was young.  Either people are politer and don't ask (or spread rumors that I'm diseased and it's catching...) or my arms don't get as red (or purple in the case of me getting cold...).  So ANYWAY - I've set out on a mission to go natural in order to help my skin out a bit and here is the first step.

How to Make Your Own Deodorant
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder 
4 tablespoons coconut oil
10 drops/shakes grapefruit essential oil
A tin or jar with lid



In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients, then add oils gradually until you like the consistency, mixing with a fork. Store in a closed container at room temp. (If the mixture seems too soft, try refrigerating it for a bit to firm it up.)


To apply, scoop up a bit with your finger, hold it against your skin for a couple seconds so it melts a little, then rub around.


This is still in the trying out stage - so I don't have a testimony of it yet, but I'll keep you updated. If it works out, I'm going to make a guy scented one for Justin.  The only thing I found was that the coconut oil was very flaky, like cold butter (even though it wasn't cold) so in order to achieve the pasty consistency, I put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and then was able to stir it in better.  Also, I used sweet orange essential oil because Whole Foods was all out of grapefruit.  


This makes enough deodorant for 4 or 5 months.  I'm not sure what the cost would be because I already threw away the receipt, but I still have plenty of ingredients to make more deodorant - so I think that combined with the fact that I won't be shoving aluminum in my pores makes it all worth it.  
Here's what I have coming up next:


Four Homemade Cleaners
Liquid Handsoap
Homemade Body Wash
How to Clean Your Face Naturally
High Efficiency Laundry Detergent
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent


Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment