Monday, August 8, 2011

Why I Hate WAHMs

WAHM = Work at home moms.

This is probably a strange title for a post, especially where most of my readers are young mothers that may or may not be working, but I don't think this applies to any of you.

So the plight of a mother... I guess I don't know much about because I've never been one, but I can imagine that you want to take care of your children, still be social, and still look really cute - and having the money to do all of this stuff can be tough.  I get that.  Really its not that different than being a married girl - no kids or a single girl.  More money is always good.

So enter in the myriad of jobs that can allow you to be a mom, be super cool, sociable, and bring in that extra dime to help out for whatever.  We've got Scentsy, Pampered Chef, Melaleuca, Mary Kay, Lia Sophia, Usborne Books, etc, etc, and for the more daring, Slumber Parties - anything you want to buy pretty much, you can get from a WAHM.

Wonderful.

The problem?  The problem is being constantly harassed by your friends to buy products whether to get them some free wickless candles, makeup, jewelry, etc, or if they're an actual consultant (oh dear...) to get them that watch they so desperately wanted to get their husband for his birthday/christmas/gee, honey you deserve a watch day - or more importantly to feed, clothe, or in other words take care of their children.  I get that you have kids and I get that you need to make a living just like everyone else does and not everyone is so fortunate that their husband can provide everything, but I need to eat, I need clothes, and yes, I need entertainment too.  I'm busy - I don't have time or the amount of girlfriends (and maybe this is why!) to do a party for you where I'm going to end up having to spend at least $50 or more on your products even with your (not so great) GREAT PARTY DISCOUNTS.

You're starting a new WAHM mom business, sure - tell me about it.  Ask me if I want to host a party.  Ask me if I want any products from time to time - If I tell you I don't have friends that would be interested, don't ask me to host a party again.  If I tell you that I do want products, but don't have money - let me come to you.  A friendly reminder is friendly, but it becomes less friendly when I'm getting fb messages, texts, and emails from you on a weekly basis.

and one more word of advice... guilt trips do not help.  If your children are in need of food or clothing and you're that desperate, I'll give you some money if I have it, but don't tell me that if I would only order $50 worth of stuff then your life would be golden.  We're supposed to be friends so don't take advantage of our friendship by guilt tripping me into helping you get to that next level.  I'd love to help you - and if I have the money to do it and need/want products - I'll be your most loyal customer.

At this point in my life I had so many bad experiences with almost every WAHM industry out there that the moment I hear party or boutique my head starts thumping and I'm looking for the first thing I can hit without hurting anyone.

And really, if you can't feed or clothe your children, I think its time you tried to get a normal job.

Admittedly, I had a moment of insanity a couple of years ago where I had my own Mary Kay party and even tried to become a Mary Kay consultant where they teach you to guilt trip your friends and family into "helping you out," but it was short lived because I'm not the type of person that can sell you something that you don't need and could get cheaper elsewhere, and sure - I'd take your money for a product or a service, but in no way would I force/harass/strangle the life out of you in order to meet that end.

Now... END RANT - and I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment