Probably a funny topic for a personal blog, but nobody seems to read this anyway! Maybe some poor girl with stumble across it and it will help her out too.
For the last year and a half, I was on the NuvaRing. I had been on the NuvaRing a few years ago and went off of it due to side effects. My heart seemed to beat faster and hurt sometimes and I had steadily gained about 20 pounds and couldn't lose it, despite doing consistent workouts. I opted to go for the Mirena IUD and had that for about 2 years. I loved it. No period, no side effects - oh wait, that was only for a little while. After about 6 months with the Mirena I started having dyspareunia and my memory seemed to change. I didn't gain weight on the Mirena, but I still could not lose any, despite running every other day. In October of 2009, I had the Mirena taken out - and within 2 months had lost 20 pounds. I maintained that weight for a little over a year being pretty active, but not really watching carefully what I ate.
Going back on the NuvaRing in December 2010 because of the ease of it - I didn't really notice any side effects at first, but after a couple of months I began to steadily gain weight despite being pretty active and eating healthier than I ever had. Now, while I ate pretty healthy - within a couple of months of being on the NuvaRing, my portion size was out of control. I was always hungry. I could eat a large meal and then within 20-30 minutes be ravenous all over again. I was also tired all the time, felt depressed, had a lot of anxiety about life.
A little over a month ago, I went to a gynecologist to speak to them about birth control options. I was considering (and still am) going on the Paragard IUD. It is a nonhormonal form of birth control, but like with everything there are risks. The practitioner that I went to refused to give me one because I haven't had kids yet, despite me having an IUD before. He told me to go to the School of Medicine up here at the U and get some samples of different birth control pills, basically telling me that no matter what I choose I'm going to be unhappy with the side effects.
After talking to Justin about all this, we decided that we're not going that route. We understand that there is an increased risk for an unplanned pregnancy and are taking more precautions to prevent it, but he felt that it was important for me to feel normal.
I went to the other practitioner that diagnosed me with a vitamin D deficiency (answering why I'm always tired and agreeing to give me the Paragard should I decide I want it), but in the past month I have noticed a huge difference - I feel less tired (and haven't started a supplement yet) and I don't remember feeling so incredibly positive in my whole life!!! Especially for the past week, despite getting some pretty bad news, I just can't be kept down. Life just seems to be going so well - and I feel like I'm starting to be me again. I can eat small amounts of food and feel full for hours and life doesn't seem so cluttered, unorganized, daunting. I can do this!
I'm still working on the "weight loss" (when I say weight loss I mean toning up, slimming down not an actual number, although a good number would be nice too - a lot of people have told me I don't need to lose weight.), but I think in time I'll get there.
I know that going the nonhormonal route can be inconvenient, but if you are having any of these side effects, try it out! You might just enjoy life more!
Colorado 2019!
7 years ago

I read your blog! I know how you feel though... sometimes it seems like no one out there reads the blogs. I am REALLY glad that you posted this. I have been thinking about getting an IUD but have only heard bad things about them from friends who have actually tried them - lots of side effects. I don't use any kind of hormonal birth control and I would definitely like to keep it that way. I am really glad that you are into fitness/nutrition too. It is so nice to have friends that make me feel less like a freak! :-)
ReplyDelete